National Medical Dosimetrist's Day: August 21, 2019
Each year, the third Wednesday of August is designated as the day for celebrating medical dosimetry professionals around the world. The AAMD recognizes the importance of the medical dosimetry profession and honors the contributions of each dosimetrist in the field. Medical dosimetry is an exciting and amazing profession to work in. Dosimetrists are key members of a team that contribute to cancer survivorship on a daily basis.
2019 NMDD Poster Contest
This year, AAMD is seeking submissions for the 2019 National Medical Dosimetrist’s Day Poster. If you have an idea, please download the submission form and submit your entry by July 5. AAMD will award a $100 Amazon Gift Card to the person with the winning design or theme. It’s time to get creative and spotlight your career! Please email all entries to Whitney O'Donnell at email@example.com.
FREE Educational Webinar Series, August 19 - 23
This year, the AAMD will once again be collaborating with our corporate partners to offer a FREE educational webinar series, August 19 - 23. Webinar details and information will be posted in early August.
How to Celebrate National Medical Dosimetrist's Day on August 21, 2019:
- Host a reception for hospital/facility staff in the medical dosimetry department. Invite them to see what you do! (Offering some type of food — ice cream, bagels, coffee, cookies, etc — provides an additional incentive for people to stop by!). Or maybe you could bring in a massage therapist to provide chair massages to your colleagues on National Medical Dosimetrist's Day!
- Provide refreshments, flowers or other treats for patients on National Medical Dosimetrist's Day or throughout that week or even during the month of August. Make a sign or tag saying: Courtesy of your medical dosimetry team.
- Have your medical dosimetry team introduce themselves to patients during the month of August and answer their questions about treatment planning. Provide patients with a copy of the AAMD "What Is a Medical Dosimetrist?" flyer, available by clicking here. Or share this PowerPoint presentation with them during a reception. You can even customize it with your own facility's information.
- Suggest to your facility's PR department that they do a story on the medical dosimetry department in the next facility newsletter.
- Host a lunch for the entire radiation therapy team at your facility to thank your colleagues for their collaboration with the medical dosimetry team.
- Make a commitment to get involved in your professional organization — volunteer for an AAMD Committee! Click here for details on volunteer opportunities.
Mark these dates on your calendar for future celebrations of National Medical Dosimetrist's Day!
2020: Wednesday, August 19
2021: Wednesday, August 18