Empowering medical dosimetrists and treatment planners to improve the quality of life of our patients and their families.
AAMD Mission Statement
The AAMD is the primary resource for medical dosimetrists and treatment planners throughout the world. We are the only professional association devoted exclusively to promoting and supporting the medical dosimetry and treatment planning profession by:
- Defining the scope of practice for medical dosimetry and treatment planning to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care and to foster patient safety initiatives.
- Providing opportunities for skill development and maintenance of Medical Dosimetrist Certification Board (MDCB) certification through current and relevant educational activities specifically focused on medical dosimetry and treatment planning.
- Demonstrating the value of the medical dosimetry and treatment planning profession through advocacy in the radiation oncology community, other healthcare associations and the general public.
- Offering a forum for professional development through the exchange of best practices, practical treatment planning solutions and career opportunities.
- Monitoring the healthcare landscape and informing our members of changes that may impact the medical dosimetry and treatment planning profession
AAMD Code of Ethics
The purpose of the American Association of Medical Dosimetrists (AAMD) Code of Ethics is to establish an ideal of professional conduct to which members of the Medical Dosimetry profession should aspire. The Code of Ethics expresses the moral values of the AAMD. While, by itself, the AAMD cannot create or reform moral character, it may at least inform a conscience. Such a code also signals the organization's moral commitment to those who depend upon its members for services. In any profession, the test of moral seriousness depends upon personal compliance with ethical standards.
As Medical Dosimetrists, our primary objective is to use our training, experience, skills, and talents for the benefit of society. To this end, we recognize our professional relationships with and obligations to the:
Although never directly responsible for prescribing medical procedures, the health and welfare (even life) of many patients may directly depend upon the skill and dedication with which Medical Dosimetrists carry out their work.
- Employer or Client.
As professionals, Medical Dosimetrists have the obligation to act as faithful agents for their employers or clients and to devote their skills and talents to further the legitimate aims of their employers. In turn, they have the right to expect rue professional consideration from their employers or clients.
- Fellow Medical Dosimetrists.
Medical Dosimetrists should contribute to the advancement of their profession and should avoid all practices which detract from the stature of Medical Dosimetry. In furtherance of the principles stated in this preamble, the AAMD has adopted this Code of Ethics.
Principles of Ethics
The following principles represent goals to which all Medical Dosimetrists should aspire:
- Medical Dosimetrists are obliged to uphold the honor and dignity of their profession by exhibiting sound moral character and the highest degree of competence in their work.
- Medical Dosimetrists must be honest and forthright at all times in their dealings with employers, clients, and patients. Remuneration expected should be consistent with the type and quality of service provided.
- Patient privacy must be respected and confidentiality of patient information must be maintained.
- Medical Dosimetrists should strive continually to improve their knowledge and skills and participate in programs that lead to the improvement of the Medical Dosimetry profession and the health of the community.
- Collegiality, openness, and mutual respect shall characterize the relationships among Medical Dosimetrists.
- Medical Dosimetrists should conduct their affairs in a manner consistent with standards of excellence.